In December 1921 a Brownie Pack was formed in East Cowes. This pack, now called a unit, has been meeting in the town ever since.
Throughout the 1920s and 1930s both Brownies and Guides flourished in East Cowes. They were led by Mrs. MacGill who was the District Commissioner for North Wight. By 1935 it was one of a few Girlguiding areas in the UK to receive a grant from the King George IV Jubilee Fund. This grant, for the grand sum of £50, enabled the Guides and Brownies to build a headquarters which was duly opened by Sir Percy Everett.
There have been a number of leaders over the years notably Mrs. King who ran the pack from June 1948 until October 1965. She had several assistants during that time. In October 1965 a Mrs. J Jones took over as leader and she was followed by a Mrs. A. Atkin in 1972 and Eileen Adsett in 1977.
Current leader Katie Charlton has been with the unit for over10 years. It was Katie (Brown Owl) who organised a get together and celebration of the 100 years with assistant leader Marion O’Nions.
Joining in the celebrations was Island Commissioner Linda Stone and everyone enjoyed looking back over the 100 years with activities and games. One activity involved the present Brownies trying to match old badges with the new badges from the latest Girlguiding programme. There was also a discussion as to which brownie uniform had been the most fashionable over the years, including the one designed by fashion designer Jeff Banks.
Games and activities were followed by all enjoying a celebratory cake made by Brown Owl’s sister who runs the Newport based cake makers ‘Tiffin in a Tin’.
This cake, complete with Brownie Badge was cut by the youngest Brownie Hannah age 7 and oldest Brownie Abby age 10.