Libraries across the Isle of Wight are taking part in National Libraries Day this Saturday (8 February).
It is the third staging of National Libraries Day – and Island residents are being encouraged to help support the event at their local library
* Lord Louis Library, Newport is creating a community book and would welcome your contribution. If you have any recipes, crafts, creative writing or community information you would like to share, come along to the library. Tea, coffee and cakes will be available from 10am to 12 noon.
* Ryde Library has a visit from children’s author Philip Bell, creator of the popular Jack and Boo series of books. He will be there between 11am and 12 noon. Jack and Boo books are a mix of fact and fiction for children aged two to eight – perfect for bedtime stories and challenging reading for children in Foundation and Key Stage 1 of primary school.
* Cowes Library is holding an ‘Open day at Cowes Library’ for people to come to see what the library has to offer plus you can meet the Cowes Heritage Group members between 10am and 12 noon – and see part of their exhibition ‘Who do you think lived here?’ This group also wants to know if people have any memorabilia from World War One in Cowes and the local area, for their next major exhibition in October. There will also be children’s craft activities (10am to 2pm), and Huxley’s Magic Show (3pm to 4pm). Refreshments will be available courtesy of the Supporters of Cowes Library Group.
* Freshwater Library is holding an open day to for visitors to learn what the library has to offer. There will be a chance to chat to the Friends of Freshwater Library, who will be providing tea and coffee. There will also be a display of paperbacks to buy.
* Sandown Library is collecting stories and thoughts about the library in a special book created for the occasion. You are welcome to come along and tell other people what you find special about the library. All contributors will be given a drink and a slice of a special celebration cake, which has been baked to celebrate National Libraries Day. You will also be able to enter a draw to win the opportunity of borrowing a DVD free for every week of the year.
* Ventnor Library is also producing a book to celebrate National Libraries Day. Come along and share your stories with the team and Friends of Ventnor Library. There will also be some music in the afternoon.
* At Shanklin Library, an open coffee morning is being staged for volunteers and friends of the library as a thank you for their efforts in ensuring the town continues to have a library.